April 19, 2010
Proposed tuition and fees would increase on average by $210 at state colleges and $301 at state universitiesContact: Melinda Voss (651) 201-1804, firstname.lastname@example.org
Cuts in state funding contribute to need for tuition increase
Average annual tuition and fee rates would increase by $210 for undergraduate students at the state colleges and $301 at the state universities beginning this fall under a recommendation to the Minnesota State Colleges and Universities Board of Trustees.
The proposal calls for students at the 25 state colleges to pay an average of $4,907 or 4.5 percent more, and students at the seven state universities to pay an average of $6,596 or 4.8 percent more for tuition and fees than the current year.
The trustees are expected to act on the tuition proposal at their May 19 board meeting.
“In the face of declining state support, the colleges and universities have made significant budget cuts even though enrollments are increasing rapidly,” Chancellor James H. McCormick said. “We remain committed to providing high-quality programs and improving student success. The proposed tuition increases will help maintain programs and services for students.”
The 32 presidents are balancing their budgets by reducing expenses for travel and equipment purchases, eliminating administrative support, increasing class sizes, limiting course offerings, restructuring and closing programs, and taking other actions.
When adjusted for inflation, the system expects to spend less per-student than it did in fiscal year 2002. In fiscal year 2011, the system expects to spend $6,864 per full-year equivalent student, a reduction of $323 per student or 4.5 percent since fiscal year 2002. State appropriations are expected to cover 43 percent of the cost of educating students, while tuition would cover the other 57 percent.
The board will have a public hearing on the proposed budget for fiscal year 2011, which includes the recommended tuition increases, from 9:30 to 11:30 a.m. Tuesday at the system office. The address is Wells Fargo Place, 30 7th St. E., Suite 350, St. Paul, 55101.
Click here for a list proposed annual tuition and fees for 2010-2011.
Minnesota's 31 state community and technical colleges, and universities serve more than 430,000 students across the state.