Posted: June 21, 2011
Contact: Doug Anderson, firstname.lastname@example.org, 651-201-1426
Layoff notices to more than 6,000 employees of the Minnesota State Colleges and Universities system are being rescinded and classes will continue July 1 in the event of a government shutdown, officials said Tuesday.
“We are grateful that the education of our students will not be interrupted,” Chancellor James H. McCormick said. “Minnesota Management and Budget has informed us that the needed services will be provided, and we will be able to continue system operations through the summer and fall terms.”
The state colleges and universities are serving 67,000 students this summer. Many more students enroll and register for classes during the summer months. In anticipation of a possible shutdown of the system, layoff notices were sent earlier in June to more than 6,000 of the system’s clerical workers, information technology technicians, middle managers and other classified employees. The notices will be rescinded, and salaries and benefits also will continue uninterrupted.
The system’s continued operation will be funded through existing tuition receipts and fund balances at each of the colleges and universities. The higher education appropriations bill awaits resolution along with other state operating budgets.
Minnesota's 31 state community and technical colleges, and universities serve more than 430,000 students across the state.