MnSCU Board of Trustees approves new college name

Posted: June 18, 2003

Contact: Doug Anderson, doug.anderson@so.mnscu.edu, 651-201-1426

Four campuses in northwest area now Minnesota State Community & Technical College

The Minnesota State Colleges and Universities Board of Trustees today approved a new name - Minnesota State Community and Technical College - for the recently combined campuses of Fergus Falls Community College and the three Northwest Technical College sites at Detroit Lakes, Moorhead and Wadena.

The name change was requested by college President Ken Peeders, after consultation with the campuses and their constituencies. The new name will be effective July 1.

"Minnesota State Community and Technical College reflects our broad mission under this reorganization to deliver technical education as well as liberal arts and transfer programs," President Peeders said. "We look forward to providing residents of the region with a wide array of educational and training needs."

The newly combined college is part of a reorganization of the five campuses of Northwest Technical College over the past year aimed at streamlining the region's colleges.

The East Grand Forks campus has combined with Northland Community and Technical College in Thief River Falls, and the Northland name will be retained. The Bemidji campus of Northwest Technical College will retain its name under a new alignment with Bemidji State University.

This is the third in a series of name changes approved by the Board of Trustees. Southwest State University in Marshall will become Southwest Minnesota State University on July 1, and Anoka-Hennepin Technical College in Anoka became Anoka Technical College last month.


Minnesota's 31 state community and technical colleges, and universities serve more than 430,000 students across the state.