Posted: August 21, 2001
Contact: Doug Anderson, firstname.lastname@example.org, 651-201-1426
Chancellor James H. McCormick of the Minnesota State Colleges and Universities will launch a fall tour of all 34 state colleges and universities on Thursday, August 23, with visits to Minnesota State University Moorhead and the Northwest Technical College campuses in Moorhead and East Grand Forks. He embarks on this tour to gather information and ideas from community members, students, faculty and campus staff that will be used in the development of a three-year strategic plan for Minnesota State Colleges and Universities.
"This system exists solely to serve the people," McCormick said before his first official campus visit. "I'm very eager to hear what students, community leaders and employers have to say about how we can meet their needs more effectively. I want to learn from faculty, presidents and administrators about the barriers that stand in the way of meeting those needs."
The official visits are part of the Chancellor's work plan for the next 12 months, which the MnSCU Board of Trustees approved in July. The plan reflects the chancellor's commitment to listening and learning about the institutions and the communities they serve and being an advocate for Minnesota state college and university students.
"Chancellor McCormick's focus on the campuses is key to developing a long-term higher education vision that works for Minnesota," said Mary Choate, Chair of the MnSCU Board of Trustees. "These visits will provide him with a clear picture of the real opportunities and challenges on campuses."
Following is a tentative schedule of campus visits:
- Aug. 23 Minnesota State University Moorhead Northwest Technical College, Moorhead, East Grand Forks
- Aug. 27 Northwest Technical College, Bemidji
- Sept. 6 Minnesota State College - Southeast Technical, Winona Winona State University
- Sept. 11 South Central College, North Mankato, Faribault Minnesota State University, Mankato
- Sept. 14 Northland Community and Technical College, Thief River Falls Bemidji State University
- Sept. 25 Century College, White Bear Lake Pine Technical College, Pine City Anoka-Ramsey Community College, Cambridge
- Sept. 26 Hibbing Community College Mesabi Range Community and Technical College, Virgina, Eveleth
- Sept. 27 Vermilion Community College, Ely Rainy River Community College, International Falls Itasca Community College, Grand Rapids
- Oct. 4 Anoka-Ramsey Community College, Coon Rapids Anoka-Hennepin Technical College, Anoka
- Oct. 9 St. Paul Technical College Normandale Community College, Bloomington
- Oct. 12 Fond du Lac Tribal and Community College, Cloquet Lake Superior College, Duluth
- Oct. 23 Ridgewater College, Willmar Fergus Falls Community College, Northwest Technical College, Detroit Lakes
- Oct. 24 Alexandria Technical College Northwest Technical College, Wadena Central Lakes College, Brainerd, Staples
- Oct. 30 Minnesota West Community and Technical College, Worthington Southwest State University, Marshall
- Nov. 8 Rochester Community and Technical College Riverland College, Albert Lea, Austin
- Nov. 27 Dakota County Technical College, Rosemount Inver Hills Community College, Inver Grove Heights
- Nov. 29 Minneapolis Community and Technical College Metropolitan State University, Minneapolis, St. Paul
- Dec. 6 St. Cloud Technical College St. Cloud State University
- Dec. 11 North Hennepin Community College, Brooklyn Park Hennepin Technical College, Brooklyn Park
Minnesota's 31 state community and technical colleges, and universities serve more than 430,000 students across the state.