Strategic Plan Summary
Minnesota State Colleges and Universities Foundation
The Minnesota State Colleges and Universities Foundation will be embraced by the state colleges and universities as a fundraising partner to maximize fundraising results.
The mission of the Minnesota State Colleges and Universities Foundation is to secure, manage and distribute support to further the strategic directions and goals of the Minnesota State Colleges and Universities system.
- Maintain fundraising as the Foundation’s top priority.
- Incorporate the chancellor’s vision for the system into the Foundation’s planning and operation.
- Enhance the collaboration between the institutional foundations, the system and the Foundation.
Goals and Strategies
Goal 1 – Collect and share information on best practices for raising funds and managing a foundation.
- Facilitate networking between institutional foundations to develop and adopt high quality foundation policies and practices at the institutional and system levels.
- Develop processes to solicit and manage deferred giving and endowments.
- Sponsor, with institutional foundations, an annual forum to share information on managing an efficient and effective foundation.
- Develop and implement a process for making resources available for programs and services to Minnesota State Colleges and Universities institutions.
Goal 2 – Raise funds in mutually beneficial partnerships with institutional foundations.
- Raise funds collaboratively with institutions and their foundations, as an individual board, and with other relevant organizations (e.g. student associations, faculty associations, industry groups).
- Develop and use consistent messages for fundraising to communicate the educational and other benefits of the Minnesota State Colleges and Universities to current and potential donors.
- Identify and procure funds from donors who want to invest in specific programs (e.g. nursing).
Goal 3 – Provide advocacy for the Minnesota State Colleges and Universities system.
- Identify topics and issues about which the Foundation can provide effective legislative advocacy for the system.
- Serve as a catalyst to organize institutional foundations to advocate for the system to the Legislature and donors.
- Identify groups (e.g. trade associations) and individuals (e.g. community and business leaders) and develop messages for them to advocate for the system.
Goal 4 – Provide discretionary funds for the Office of the Chancellor and the Board of Trustees.
- Establish discretionary fundraising goals and priorities.
- Raise discretionary funds to support the Office of the Chancellor and the Board of Trustees and their projects not supported by other sources.
Goal 5 – Serve as steward of donor funds in the Foundation.
- Develop and implement a fund–distribution process.
- Develop and implement an investment strategy to achieve competitive return on Foundation funds.
- Perform an annual audit that evaluates the Foundation's fundraising outcomes and report these to the Board of Trustees, donors, and institutional foundations.