MnSCU Foundation Scholarships
To apply for all MnSCU Foundation scholarships for which you qualify, please follow the instructions listed below.
- Complete the online application form - Download form here. Only one application is needed to apply for multiple scholarships.
- Attach your Letter(s) of Recommendation – one for each scholarship you are applying for.
- Attach additional pages of your Academic, Career and Personal Goals statement and Statement of Need.
- Attach any additional materials specific to the scholarship(s) you are applying for.
- Allow the MnSCU Foundation access to your Transcript.
Only completed applications will be considered. All submitted materials become the property of the Selection Committee and will be kept confidential.
By signing the scholarship application, you are giving the Minnesota State Colleges & Universities Foundation permission to obtain your most recent school transcript.
- Awards are disbursed to high school graduates or equivalent.
- Minnesota State Colleges & Universities Foundation scholarship awards are based on funds available.
- Minnesota State Colleges & Universities Foundation scholarship awards will be included in the total financial aid award.
- If scholarship recipient terminates enrollment prior to disbursement, he or she will relinquish rights to further benefit under the award.
Date: May 30, 2014 ..................................................... To be awarded Fall Semester 2014
Date: October 31, 2014...................................................... To be awarded Spring Semester 2015
All applicants will be notified of awards within 3 weeks of the deadline date (exception: Re-entering Adult Scholarship).
Available Scholarships and Criteria
Trustee Emeritus Robert Erickson Part-Time Student Scholarship (four $500 scholarships)
Eligible colleges and universities may be awarded a specific amount for part-time student scholarships.
- Available to working adult students who are attending one of the Minnesota State Colleges and Universities on a part-time basis (taking 1-11 credits)
- Available for students who are in good academic standing at one of the state colleges or universities as determined by the campus where they are enrolled
- May be renewed provided the recipient meets the minimum academic standards as determined by the college president
- Preference will be given to students with financial need
- If student is also award an Alliss Education Grant for two-year students, the Alliss Education Grant will take precedence
Morrie Anderson Award (eight $500 scholarships)
Students attending a technical college or consolidated college are eligible if enrolled in a technical program.
- Registered in a technical program
- Letter of recommendation from college’s technical program faculty
John Kenneth Niemi Memorial Tool Fund (three $500 scholarships)
Students attending a technical college or consolidated college who are enrolled in the area of technology, management or trades are eligible.
- Registered in a technical/consolidated college in area of technology, management or trades
Elizabeth Pegues Scholarship Matching Program (seven matching scholarships, up to $1,000)
Students who are Minnesota residents and currently enrolled or have been unconditionally accepted at a state university who have received a scholarship from a Minnesota-based civic, religious, fraternal, social or non-profit youth-serving organization. This scholarship is renewable; additional criteria apply.
- Student of color
- Minnesota resident and graduated from a Minnesota high school or any Minnesota community or technical college
- Must have unconditional acceptance at one of the seven Minnesota State Universities and provide copy of admittance letter received from that state university
- Must have received a scholarship from a Minnesota-based civic, religious, fraternal, social or non-profit youth-serving organization
- Provide a copy of grantor’s award letter
MnSCU Human Resources Scholarship (one $1,000 scholarship)
Individuals employed within the Minnesota State Colleges and Universities system and attending one of the system’s two-year colleges or state universities, or to students attending one of the system’s two-year colleges or state universities. This scholarship provides assistance to individuals possessing a desire to advance in the field of human resources, thereby increasing the Minnesota State Colleges and Universities’ ability to recruit, retain and promote talented human resources professionals. This scholarship is renewable.
- Must be a permanent employee or admitted student within the Minnesota State Colleges and Universities system who is enrolled in a certificate, undergraduate degree or an advanced degree in areas related to human resources
- Preference will be given to individuals who have been employed in a permanent position within the system for at least one year. Current students must have a grade point average of 2.75 or above
Friends Scholarship (awards given in $500 increments per financial unique request)
Students attending a state university who have completed at least two academic years (30 semester credits) and exhibit special or unique financial need that may keep them from continuing their education pursuits.
- Be a junior or senior at a Minnesota State University, having completed at least two academic years (30 semester credits)
- Must exhibit a special or unique financial need that would prohibit continuing their education pursuit and provide a written description of their ‘unique financial need”
Irja Sundgren Pratt Memorial Scholarship Fund (one $300 scholarship)
This endowed fund will provide scholarship opportunities for students who are interested in attending one of the five two-year institutions that comprise the Northeast Higher Education District on the Iron Range. NHED consists of Mesabi Range Community and Technical College, Hibbing Community College, Itasca Community College, Rainy River Community College and Vermillion Community College. This scholarship is renewable. (Possible recipients will be suggested by the each campus.) Recipients of the Irja Sundgren Pratt Memorial Scholarship will have completed at least one semester of course-work at the college before being eligible for the award.
- Enrolled at any institutions within the Northeast Higher Education District. (Possible recipients will be suggested by the each campus.)
- Have completed at least one semester of course-work at the college before being eligible for the award.
Maryan G. and James H. McCormick Endowed Leadership Scholarship Fund (one $1,000 scholarship)
The Maryan G. and James H. McCormick Leadership Endowed Scholarship Fund will honor the contributions of Chancellor and Dr. McCormick to the MnSCU system, its students and the broader higher education community and will recognize students who have demonstrated leadership in academics, extracurricular activities and /or community service.
- Available to admitted students within the Minnesota State Colleges and Universities system who are enrolled in a certificate, undergraduate degree or an advanced degree program.
- Applicants must have a grade point average of 3.0 or higher.
- Must demonstrate leadership in academics, extracurricular activities, and community service.
- Available for spring semester.
- Is non-renewable.
- Can be used for tuition, fees, books, supplies and other course-related expenses necessary to the recipient's academic achievement.
- PSEO student are not eligible to apply.
Robert L. Carothers Distinguished Writers Award (seven $500 scholarships)
Students attending a state university who are interested in and excel in writing. Recommendations are provided by the State Universities.