@import url(/includes/css/collegeforme.css);
Minnesota State - How do I get started?

Home > College can work for you > How do I get started?

How do I get started?

What do I need to get into college?

Generally, you should take three years of math, science and social studies, and four years of English while in high school. For technical and community colleges, all you need is a high school diploma or GED. There are minimum ACT or SAT test score requirements for state universities. Check with the university admissions office for these and other additional admissions requirements. Even if you don’t meet minimum requirements, you may be considered for admission under special provisions. It is a good idea to apply as early as possible for both admission and financial aid.

Get started. It’s easy.

  1. See your guidance counselor for help.
  2. Get a copy of the Go MN Guide to MnSCU, a free booklet that gives more details about career choices and student life at the Minnesota State Colleges and Universities. You can get a copy at your high school career center or counseling office, or request one online.
  3. Visit a campus. Just call one of the Minnesota State Colleges and Universities, and ask for a tour.
  4. Apply to the college or colleges that seem right for you. Get an application online or from your guidance counselor.
  5. Apply for financial aid after Jan. 1 of your senior year by completing the FAFSA form, which you can get from your guidance counselor or online at www.fafsa.ed.gov.
Smiling student