July 22, 2009 | Board Meeting Summary
Wells Fargo Place
Saint Paul, Minnesota
THIS SUMMARY IS NOT THE OFFICIAL MINUTES OF THE MEETING
Election of Officers
The Board of Trustees elected David Olson as the Chair, Ruth Grendahl as the Vice Chair and Scott Thiss as the Treasurer.
Report of Closed Session on Chancellor's Evaluation
The Board of Trustees congratulated Chancellor McCormick on an excellent year and approved a one-time performance payment of $32,500 for the Chancellor for FY 2009.
FY 2010 Meeting Calendar
The Board of Trustees approved the FY 2010 meeting calendar, as follows:
- September 8 and 9, 2009: Committee and Board Meetings
- October 20 and 21, 2009: Retreat, Rochester Community and Technical College
- November 17 and 18, 2009: Committee and Board Meetings
- January 19 and 20, 2010: Committee and Board Meetings
- March 16 and 17, 2010: Committee and Board Meetings
- April 20 and 21, 2010: Committee and Board Meetings
- May 18 and 19, 2010: Committee and Board Meetings
- June 15 and 16, 2010: Committee and Board Meetings
- July 20 and 21, 2010: Committee and Annual Board Meetings
FY 2010 Operating Budget Request Including Tuition and Fees
The Board of Trustees approved the following motion:
- Adopted the annual total operating budget and general fund budget for fiscal year 2010 in Tables 6 and 7 (on pages 25-26 of the Finance, Facilities and Technology Committee's meeting materials).
Per Board Policy 5.9, the Board will be periodically provided systemwide budget updates for all funding sources on an exception reporting basis.
- Approved the proposed tuition structure recommendations for fiscal year 2010 as detailed in attachments 1A through 1D. The percentage impact of residence tuition rates represents the maximum amount that can be applied to other tuition rates charged by the college or university not impacted by reciprocity agreements such as nonresident and off campus rates.
- The tuition increase is effective Summer Term or Fall Term 2009 at the discretion of the president. The Chancellor is authorized to approve tuition structures for new courses or programs proposed after this date, as well as any required technical adjustments, and is requested to incorporate any approvals at the time fiscal year 2011 tuition recommendations are presented to the Board. The Board continues the policy of market-driven tuition for closed enrollment courses, customized training, non-credit instruction, continuing education, distance learning, and contract postsecondary enrollment options programs.
- Approved the use of ARRA funds to mitigate tuition increases in fiscal year 2010.
- Approved the increase in the student union facility fee from a maximum of $280.00 per year to $300.00 per year.
- Approved the Revenue Fund fiscal year 2010 fees for room and board, student union, wellness centers/outdoor recreation facilities, and parking ramps/surface lots as detailed in attachments 2A and 2C through 2E (on pages 56, and 58 through 60 of the Finance, Facilities and Technology Committee's meeting materials).
- Approved the fiscal year 2010 fees for room and board for colleges who either own or manage student housing as detailed in attachment 2B (on page 57 of the Finance, Facilities and Technology Committee's meeting materials).
Proposed Policy 4.11 Board Early Separation Incentive Program
The Board of Trustees approved Policy 4.11 Board Early Separation Incentive Program.
Minnesota State University, Mankato Revenue Fund Project
The Board of Trustees approved the use of approximately $1,014,225 in proceeds from the FY 2005 revenue bond sale for architectural design of a new resident hall at Minnesota State University, Mankato.
FY 2010 Internal Auditing Annual Audit Plan
The Board of Trustees approved the Office of Internal Auditing annual audit plan for fiscal year 2010.