Minnesota State Colleges & Universities Board of Trustees
June 20, 2007
Board Meeting Summary
Wells Fargo Place
Saint Paul, Minnesota
THIS SUMMARY IS NOT THE OFFICIAL MINUTES OF THE MEETING
Report of Closed Session on the Chancellor's Evaluation
The Board of Trustees authorized the Board Chair to renegotiate and execute an amendment to the Employment Agreement with the Chancellor to:
- Extend his employment agreement for a period of up to 12 months beyond its current end date of July 31, 2010.
- Effective for the extension period in #1, above, provide a resignation notice period of not less than nine months nor greater than 12 months. The Chancellor shall be eligible for severance benefits in accordance with the current agreement regardless of whether he chooses to extend his employment beyond July 31, 2010.
- Restructure the compensation package effective July 1, 2007, to replace the current salary and performance incentive with a single salary amount, and to provide eligibility for a performance bonus up to $25,000.
- Make modifications needed to implement the authorized changes.
FY 2008-2009 Operating Budget Including Tuition and Fees
The Board of Trustees approved the following motion (see FY 2008-2009 Operating Budget Including Tuition and Fees):
- Adopt the annual total operating budget and general fund budget for FY 2008 in tables 4 and 5 attached. Per Board Policy 5.9, the Board will be periodically provided system wide budget updates for all funding sources on an exception reporting basis.
- Approve the proposed tuition structure recommendations for FY 2008 as detailed in attachments 5A through 5E.
- The tuition increases are effective Summer Session or Fall Semester, 2007 at the discretion of the president. The Board continues the policy of market-driven tuition for closed enrollment courses, customized training, non-credit instruction, continuing education, distance learning and contract postsecondary enrollment option programs.
- The chancellor is authorized to approve tuition structures for new courses or programs proposed after this date.
- Approve the application fee maximums as detailed in attachment 6.
- Approve the Revenue Fund FY2008 fees for room and board and student union facilities as detailed in attachments 7A and 7B.
- The Chancellor shall provide information to the Board in January 2008 regarding the expected impact of limiting tuition increases in FY 2009 to 2% or less for two year colleges and 3% or less for universities, and that all sources of funding be considered in limiting tuition increases.
Committee Structure and Board Meeting Calendar
Upon the recommendation of the Executive Committee, the Board of Trustees approved the revised committee structure and meeting calendar for FY 2008, as shown below (click here for a printable color version of the fy2008 calendar):
- July 17 and 18, 2007: Committee and Annual Board Meetings
- July 19, 2007: Ad Hoc Committee on System and Institutional Assessment
- September 18 and 19, 2007: Committee and Board Meetings
- November 13 and 14, 2007: Committee and Board Meetings
- January 15 and 16, 2008: Committee and Board Meetings
- February 2008: Held for Retreat. Date will be determined.
- March 18 and 19, 2008: Hearing, and Board and Committee Meetings
- May 20 and 21, 2008: Committee and Board Meetings
- June 4, 2008: Special Board Meeting in Closed Session for Chancellor Assessment
FY 2008-2013 Capital Budget Request
The Board of Trustees approved the FY 2008 - 2013 Capital Budget as presented on pages 22-46 of the June 20 2007 Board meeting materials, specifically the projects and priorities for FY 2008. The Board recognizes the projects in the 2010 and 2012 program years as strong candidates for future funding. The Chancellor is authorized to forward the Capital Budget to the Governor for consideration in the FY 2008 state capital budget. The Chancellor shall advise the Board of any subsequent changes in the Capital Budget prior to the FY 2008 legislative session.
Proposed Amendment to Policy 3.21 Undergraduate Credit Transfer
The Board of Trustees approved Policy 3.21 Undergraduate Course Credit Transfer.
Proposed Policy 3.36 Academic Programs to Include Repeal of Policies: 3.2 Academic Program Inventory; 3.10 Academic Program Review; 3.12 Academic Program Suspension and Reinstatement and Closure; 3.14 Academic Program Approval; 3.17 Degrees, Diplomas and Certificates; 3.19 Academic Program Redesign; 3.20 Academic Program Replication or Relocation; and 3.25 Degree Granting Authority
The Board of Trustees approved Policy 3.36 Academic Programs effective August1, 2007, and the repeal of Policies 3.2 Academic Program Inventory; 3.10 Academic Program Review; 3.12 Academic Program Suspension and Reinstatement and Closure; 3.14 Academic Program Approval; 3.17 Degrees, Diplomas and Certificates; 3.19 Academic Program Redesign; 3.20 Academic Program Replication or Relocation; and 3.25 Degree Granting Authority, effective July 31, 2007.
Proposed Policy 3.37 Minnesota Transfer Curriculum
The Board of Trustees approved Policy 3.37 Minnesota Transfer Curriculum.
Approval of Contract Exceeding $2 Million - Winona State University Laptop Program
The Board of Trustees approved execution of a 2-year contract with Merrimak Capital totaling $6,100,000 to provide lease financing to participants in Winona State University's Laptop Program. The Board delegates execution of the contract to the Vice Chancellor-Chief Financial Officer and President of Winona State University.
Fiscal Year 2008 Internal Audit Plan
The Board of Trustees approved the Office of Internal Auditing annual audit plan for Fiscal Year 2008.
Proposed FY 2008 Board Operating Budget
Upon the recommendation of the Executive Committee, the Board of Trustees approved the FY 2008 Board Operating Budget of $267,913.