Minnesota State Colleges & Universities Board of Trustees
October 19, 2005
Board Meeting Summary
Wells Fargo Place
Saint Paul, Minnesota
THIS SUMMARY IS NOT THE OFFICIAL MINUTES OF THE MEETING
Centers of Excellence Recommendations
The Board of Trustees awarded the Center of Excellence designation to the following proposals:
- The Center for Strategic Information Systems and Security
- The Center for Engineering and Manufacturing Excellence
- The Consortium for Manufacturing and Applied Engineering
- The Center for Integrated Health Science Education and Practice
The Board directed the Chancellor to work with the institutions in each Center to develop revised budgets for FY06 and 07 requesting no more than the $10 million designated by the legislation for this biennium.
The Board requested the Office of the Chancellor provide periodic updates on the development of the Centers of Excellence and that each Center submit an annual progress report in December of each year beginning in 2006.
The Board directed the Centers led by Bemidji State University and Minnesota State University, Mankato to collaborate to ensure distinction and complementarities between the two Centers.
The Board further directed that the Center led by Winona State University work to assure that its mission and
programming complements the results of the study and recommendations of the Rochester Higher Education Development Committee.
Approval of Minnesota State College Faculty Bargaining Agreement
The Board of Trustees approved the terms of the 2005-2007 labor agreement with Minnesota State College Faculty (MSCF), and authorized the Chancellor to sign the agreement on behalf of the Board.
Approval of 2005-2007 Personnel Plan for
Minnesota State Colleges and Universities Administrators
The Board of Trustees approved the Personnel Plan for Minnesota State Colleges and Universities Administrators for 2005-2007, and authorized the Chancellor and his designees to take all measures they deem appropriate to secure legislative approval to implement the Plan.
Amendments to Board Policy 1A.2
The Board of Trustees approved the amendments to Board Policy 1A.2, that among other items, established a new committee on Diversity and Multiculturalism.
Proposed Policy 4.10, Nepotism
The Board of Trustees approved the new Board Policy 4.10, Nepotism.
Minnesota State University, Mankato Capital Project
The Board of Trustees approved the capital project to construct a College of Business facility on the campus of Minnesota State University, Mankato. This approval is contingent upon the MSU, Foundation's pledge to perfect the monetary pledges. The Board directed the Chancellor to prepare the necessary documents to seek legislative approval for construction of the College of Business on state property.
Fiscal Year 2005 Financial Statement Review
The Board of Trustees authorized the release of the audited financial statements for the Minnesota State Colleges and Universities and twelve of its largest colleges and universities contingent upon the following activities occurring:
(1) The audit committee chair or the chair's designee shall participate in the exit conference with the principal external auditor on November 7, 2005, and
(2) The audit committee will hold a special meeting on November 8, 2005, to review the audited financial statements for fiscal year 2005 with representatives of the Office of the Chancellor and the external audit firms, and
(3) The audit committee is satisfied with the work of the external auditors and approves a motion to authorize the release of the fiscal year 2005 financial statements.