May 22, 2002 Board Meeting Minnesota State University Moorhead Office of the President

April 11, 2002

TO: Vice Chancellor Laura King
Finance and Facilities

RE: Waiver for a One-Credit Course: "University Performance Class"

After consultation with the Student Senate and the University's Academic Policy Advisory Committee, and on behalf of MSUM's administrative team, I request that the following waiver of resident tuition be presented to the Board of Trustees for their approval. This waiver will apply at Minnesota State University Moorhead and be effective starting with the Fall Semester of 2002.

MSUM seeks to encourage talented students to try-out for, and when selected participate in, student performance groups that present public performances central to the co-curricular and extra-curricular learning of all students and central to the university's public outreach to the campus and the community-at-large. Musical ensembles, theatrical production casts, intercollegiate teams, and like performance groups represent the university family in public performances and promote our good reputation for mentored student growth and development.

Further, MSUM seeks to better represent the productivity of the conductors, directors and coaches for whom teaching and mentoring a performance group is a significant portion of their assigned workload.

To help achieve these purposes, I request authority to waive resident tuition for a one-credit semester course associated with each performance group that is designated by the President for this consideration. Only those students selected as participants by the faculty member in charge of the performance group will be eligible. No individual may receive more than eight (8) credits in total by this waiver.

The Student Senate strongly supports this initiative. The University's Academic Policy Advisory Committee unanimously supports this initiative. I request the Board's authorization to waive resident tuition for this specific purpose.

-

MSUM Box 330 * 1104 7th Avenue South * Moorhead, Minnesota 56563
Phone: (218) 236-2243 * Fax: (218) 287-5093 * e-mail: barden@mnstate.mnstate.edu * www.mnstate.edu
Minnesota State University Moorhead is an equal opportunity educator and employer.
For TTY communication, contact the Minnesota Relay Service at 1-800-627-3529