World Trade Center
St. Paul, Minnesota
THIS SUMMARY IS NOT THE OFFICIAL MINUTES OF THE MEETING
Appointment of President of Ridgewater College
The Board of Trustees approved the appointment of Colleen Thompson as president of Ridgewater College effective immediately, under the terms and conditions of the Personnel Plan for MnSCU Administrators.
Appointment of President of Dakota County Technical College
The Board of Trustees approved the appointment of Dr. Ronald E. Thomas as president of Dakota County Technical College effective September 1, 1999, under the terms and conditions of the Personnel Plan for MnSCU Administrators.
Establishment of MnSCU Office of General Counsel and Appointment of General Counsel
The Board of Trustees approved the establishment of the MnSCU Office of General Counsel and appointed Gail Olson as General Counsel to MnSCU under the terms and conditions of the Personnel Plan for MnSCU Administrators.
Election of Board Secretary
The Board of Trustees elected Robert J. McFarlin to serve as Secretary of the Board, effective August 2, 1999.
FY2000-2001 Operating Budgets Including Tuition and Fees
The Board of Trustees approve the following:
- The initial allocation of state appropriations for Minnesota State Colleges and Universities for FY2000 totaling $546,997,000 as detailed on Attachment N, column A, effective July 1, 1999. The funds for the ITS consultants and academic software cannot be expended until the Board has reviewed and approved the ITS strategic plan.
- The Minnesota State Colleges and Universities proposed tuition recommendations for FY2000 as detailed on Attachments Q2-5:
· Q-2 - Resident Undergraduate per Credit Rates
· Q-3 - Resident Graduate per Credit Rates
· Q-4 - Resident Undergraduate Banded per Credit Rates
· Q-5 - Resident Undergraduate Program/Course per Credit Rates
The percent increase on the resident tuition rates in Attachments Q2-5 also applies to other tuition rates charged by the institution not impacted by reciprocity agreements such as non-resident rates. The tuition increase is effective Fall Semester, 1999. The Board continues the policy of market-driven tuition for customized training, continuing education, distance learning and contract Postsecondary enrollment programs.
- Pilot programs at Bemidji State University, Minnesota West Community and Technical College, Red Wing/Winona Technical College, Riverland Community and Technical College, and St. Cloud State University to allow expanded tuition waiver authority as defined in Attachment R, effective Fall Semester, 1999.
- An increase in the technology fee maximum to $8.00 per semester credit in FY2000 as shown on Attachment S, effective Fall Semester, 1999.
The Chancellor is directed to provide an update after conclusion of the fall enrollment period and establishment of final allocations and detailed budgets. In addition, the Board requests that the FY2001 allocation, tuition and budget recommendations be presented at the November and December, 1999 scheduled Board meetings.
The Board also requests the development of an annual report on tuition waivers throughout the system and directs the Allocation Implementation Committee to examine the effects of waivers on the MnSCU allocation framework.
Metropolitan State University - Library Schematic Design
The Board of Trustees approved the schematic design for the Metropolitan State University Community Library and Information Access Center.
Laurentian District/Vermilion Community College Student Housing Refinancing
The Board of Trustees approved the refinancing of Vermilion Community College's Higher Education Facilities Authority (HEFA) bonds.
Demolition of Neumaier Hall, Moorhead State University
The Board of Trustees authorized the demolition of Neumaier Hall at Moorhead State University.
University Center Rochester Field House Schematic Design
The Board of Trustees approved the schematic design of the University Center Rochester Regional Recreation and Sports Center as presented, subject to the City of Rochester contributing a total of $8,900,000 towards the project.
Ridgewater College, Hutchinson Campus Building Addition
The Board of Trustees approved the schematic design of Ridgewater College, Hutchinson Campus addition and remodeling project.
Minnesota State College Student Association FY 2000 Fee Proposal
The Board of Trustees endorsed the increase of the Minnesota State College Student Association fee to $ .25 per semester credit and requested that the MSCSA provide the Board with its forthcoming 3-5 year strategic plan, and indicators for measuring progress in attaining organization and legislative goals for purposes of increased communication and stronger coordination.
Gifts to Anoka Hennepin Technical College
The Board of Trustees approved gifts of $280,000 and $50,000 from the Anoka-Hennepin Technical Foundation.
Student Employees Policy
The Board of Trustees approved the amendments to Board Policy 4.5, Student Employees.
Proposed Amendment to MnSCU Policy 2.2 Residency
The Board of Trustees approved the amendment to MnSCU Policy 2.2, Residency.
Program Approval: Certificate, Foundations of Corrections and Certificate, Focus in Corrections, Lake Superior College, Duluth
The Board of Trustees approved the request of Lake Superior College to offer two certificates in Foundations of Corrections and Focus in Corrections. Program implementation is August 1, 1999.
Program Approval: Certificate, Agricultural Commodities Marketing, Northland Community and Technical College, Thief River Falls
The Board of Trustees approved the request of Northland Community and Technical College to offer a certificate in Agricultural Commodities Marketing at Barnesville, Baudette, Bemidji, Detroit Lakes, East Grand Forks, Fergus Falls, Fertile, Fosston, Hallock, Hawley, Moorhead, Red Lake Falls, Roseau, Thief River Falls and Mahnomen/Ulen. Program implementation is July 22, 1999.
Program Closures: Riverland Community College, Albert Lea and Austin
The Board of Trustees approved the following program closures at Riverland Community College, Albert Lea and Austin:
Certificate, Heating, Ventilation, and Air Conditioning and Certificate, Industrial Welding Technology
Report on Potential Cost and Efforts of Audited Financial Statements
The Board of Trustees, in exercising its fiduciary responsibilities, approved the following steps toward attainment of audited MnSCU and institutional financial statements:
- Prepare unaudited consolidating financial statements for the fiscal year ended June 30, 1999 for the Minnesota State Colleges and Universities by November 30, 1999. These financial statements should include, at a minimum, a balance sheet and statement of revenues and expenditures by institution.
- Preparation by the administration of appropriate FY2000 MnSCU-wide financial statements, including plant fund statements.
- Contract with the Office of the Legislative Auditor (OLA) for examination of the FY2000 balance sheet.
- Preparation by the administration of MnSCU-wide FY2001 financial statements.
- Contract with the OLA for the audit of MnSCU-wide financial statements for FY2001.
- Preparation of a plan for obtaining audited financial statements at the institutional level for FY2002.
- Directs the Chancellor to incorporate the estimated cost of these efforts in the FY2000 and FY2001 budget planning.
Office of the Legislative Auditor Financial Audits of Century Community and Technical College, Hennepin Technical College, and Northwest Technical College
The Board of Trustees accepted the Office of the Legislative Auditor financial audits of Century Community and Technical College, Hennepin Technical College, and Northwest Technical College.