Chapter 3 - Educational Policies
for Board Policy 3.8
Part 1. Definitions. For the purposes of Policy 3.8 and Procedure 3.8.1 the following definitions apply:
Subpart A. Appeal. A request for reconsideration of a grievance decision under Policy 3.8 and Procedure 3.81.
Subpart B. Complaint. An oral or written claim concerning a college or university issue brought by a student alleging improper, unfair, or arbitrary treatment.
Subpart C. Grievance. A written claim raised by a student alleging improper, unfair, or arbitrary action by an employee involving the application of a specific provision of a college or university rule/regulation or a board policy or procedure. This policy does not apply to those college/university rules or regulations or to board policies or procedures that include an appeal or grievance process.
Subpart D. Retaliation. Retribution of any kind taken against a student for participating or not participating in a complaint or grievance.
Subpart E. Student. An individual who is enrolled in a college or university, a group of such individuals or the campus student government.
Part 2. Notification and Publication. Each college and university shall inform students of the established complaint and grievance policies and procedures. These policies and procedures shall be publicized to students at least annually and include information for students about how and where to obtain grievance forms.
Part 3. Complaints. Colleges and universities shall establish procedures that provide for informal resolution of complaints by requiring that a student discuss a complaint with the employee(s), and/or administrator(s). If not resolved through this informal discussion, a complaint may become a grievance if the complaint involves the application of a college/university rule or regulation or a board policy or procedure.
Part 4. Grievances.
Subpart A. Timeframe. The college or university shall develop and publish a timeframe that establishes reasonable time requirements for each step of the grievance process.
Subpart B. Grievance process.
- The college or university shall develop a grievance form which will provide an explanation of the grievance step procedures and timelines.
- A grievance shall be submitted in writing.
- At the conclusion of the grievance process, the response of the college or university shall be in writing and sent to the grievant. The response shall include notification to the student of the opportunity for appeal and the process for appealing.
Subpart C. Appeals.
- The grievance procedure shall include an opportunity for a student to appeal a grievance decision. The individual to whom an appeal is directed should be identified by the college or university for the issue(s) in question.
- If the grievance involves a college or university rule or regulation, a student may appeal an official grievance through procedural steps up to the president. The decision of the president is final and binding.
- If the grievance involves a board policy, the actions of a college or university president, an issue of institutional or program quality such as an institution's compliance with the standards of an accrediting or licensing agency, or a claim of consumer fraud or deceptive trade practice, a student may further appeal the college or university decision to the chancellor. The decision of the chancellor is final and binding.
Part 5. Retaliation Prohibited. No retaliation of any kind shall be taken against a student for participating, or refusing to participate, in a grievance. Retaliation may be subject to action under appropriate student or employee policies.
- Policy 3.8 Student Complaints and Grievances
Date of Adoption: 01/19/06,
Date of Implementation: 01/19/06,
Date & Subject of Revisions:
7/26/11 - Amended Part 4C, number 3 to include grievances involving an issue of institutional or program quality such as an institution's compliance with the standards of an accrediting or licensing agency, or a claim of consumer fraud or deceptive trade practice.
3/28/11 - Added language to Part 4, Subpart B. 3. to include notification to the student of the opportunity for appeal and the process for appealing.
There is no additional HISTORY for procedure 3.8.1.