Board of Trustees Meeting Minutes
Wednesday, October 20, 1999
St. Cloud State University
St. Cloud, Minnesota
Trustees Present: Andrew Boss, Nancy Brataas, Brent A. Calhoun, Mary Choate, David Erickson, Robert Erickson, Christine Fritsche, Jim A. Luoma, Joann Splonskowski, James Wafler, Michael Vekich, Chair
Trustees Absent: Kathleen Caffey, Daniel G. Coborn, Dennis Dotson
- Call to Order
Chair Vekich called the meeting to order at 3:16 PM and reported that a quorum was present. There were no changes to the agenda.
- Chair's Report
a. Welcome/Greetings/Presentations, St. Cloud State University
Suzanne Williams, interim president, St. Cloud State University thanked the Board for visiting the campus.
On behalf of the Board of Trustees and Chancellor Anderson, Chair Vekich thanked President Williams and her staff and students for hosting the board meeting.
b. Approval of Meeting Minutes of September 22, 1999
Trustee Wafler moved approval of the September 22, 1999, meeting minutes. Trustee Calhoun seconded. The minutes were approved without dissent.
c. Report of the Executive Committee, September 1, 1999
Chair Vekich reported that the Executive Committee met on September 1.
Chair Vekich announced that Archie D. Chelseth, an original member of the MnSCU Board of Trustees, as well as its predecessor boards, the Higher Education Board and the State University Board, has resigned from the Board of Trustees, effective October 18, 1999.
Chair Vekich reported that he along with Chancellor Anderson, Hennepin Technical College President Sharon Grossbach, and Jeralyn Jargo, MnSCU Target Industry Partnership Manager, presented a report on Partnerships with Business and Industry: A Model for Success at the Association of Community College Trustees October 13-16, 1999 in Atlanta, Georgia. Chair Vekich reported that the presentation was one of the conference highlights. Trustee Brataas also attended the conference.
- Trustee Reports
Trustee Brataas congratulated Chair Vekich for his strong but unsuccessful showing in the national election of members to the Association of Community College Board of Directors.
- Chancellor's Report: Morris J. Anderson.
Chancellor Anderson thanked Dr. Williams and specifically Dr. Joane W. McKay, dean, College of Education dean, for last evening's presentation.
Chancellor Anderson announced that MnSCU will release fall semester enrollment numbers on October 22, showing an overall increase over fall 1998.
- Joint Council of Student Associations
The following representatives of student associations addressed the Board of Trustees: Ryan Kulikowski, state chair, Minnesota State University Student Association, and
Justin Wyman, president, Minnesota State College Student Association.
- MCCFA, IFO, and UTCE: Joint Opportunity to Address the Board
Dave Abel, president, Inter Faculty Organization, addressed the Board of Trustees.
- Board Standing Committee Reports
a. Finance/Facilities Policy Committee
- North Hennepin Community College - Renovation for New Science Building
Committee Chair Robert Erickson moved that the Board of Trustees approve the schematic design for North Hennepin Community College Renovation for New Science Building project as presented. Trustee Wafler seconded and the motion carried without dissent.
- Normandale Community College Land Exchange Committee Chair Robert Erickson moved that the Board of Trustees approve the transfer of approximately 12 acres of state owned real estate on the Normandale campus that is used for athletic fields to the City of Bloomington in exchange for approximately 12 acres of real estate owned by the City of Bloomington, which is adjacent to the Normandale campus, in accordance with Laws of Minnesota 1997, Chapter 183, Article 3, Section 37, Subd. 3. Trustee Splonskowski seconded and the motion carried without dissent.
- FY 2000 Committee Work Plan
Committee Chair Robert Erickson moved that the Board of Trustees approve the proposed FY 2000 workplan for the Finance/Facilities Committee of the Board of Trustees as contained in Attachment A (page 21 of the October board packet).. Trustee Wafler seconded and the motion carried without dissent.
- FY 2000 Supplemental Budget Proposal
Committee Chair Robert Erickson reported that Chancellor Anderson presented information relative to a FY2000 Supplement Budget Proposal.
- Information Systems Strategic Plan
Committee Chair Robert Erickson reported that the committee reviewed a strategic plan for MnSCU information technology. This item is slated for action at the November Board meeting.
- FY 1997 National Peer Analysis
Committee Chair Robert Erickson reported that the committee reviewed peer comparisons for fiscal year 1997.
b. Personnel Policy Committee
Committee Chair Brataas reported that the Personnel Policy Committee met without a quorum on Tuesday, October 19, but did have a full discussion of agenda items.
Committee Chair Brataas moved that the Board of Trustees approve the Personnel Policy Committee minutes of September 22, 1999. Trustee Boss seconded and the motion carried without dissent.
- Appointment of Presidents, Policy 4.2
Committee Chair Brataas moved that the Board of Trustees suspend the rules of Board Policy 1A.1, part 6, subpart B, in order to allow the Board to take action on Appointment of Presidents, Policy 4. Trustee Fritsche seconded and the motion carried without dissent.
Committee Chair Brataas moved that the Board of Trustees approve amendments to Board Policy 4.2, Appointment of Presidents. Trustee Robert Erickson seconded and the motion carried without dissent.
- Approval of Inter Faculty Organization (IFO) Collective Bargaining
Committee Chair Brataas moved that the Board of Trustees endorse the Inter Faculty Organization contract and forwards it to the Joint Sub Committee on Employee Relations for their approval. Trustee Robert Erickson seconded and the motion carried without dissent.
- Emeritus Status System Policy 4.2
Committee Chair Brataas reported that the committee reviewed proposed changes to Board Policy 4.8, Emeritus Status. This will be an action item at the November Board meeting.
- Student Employees Report
Committee Chair Brataas reported that the committee reviewed a report on the student employment program within MnSCU.
c. Educational Policy Committee
- Academic and Student Affairs Update
Committee Chair Wafler reported that Senior Vice Chancellor Baer provided an update on academic and student affairs.
- Moorhead State University Request for a Name Change
Committee Chair Wafler moved that the Board of Trustees establish the name "Minnesota State University Moorhead," as the name to replace Moorhead State University, effective July 1, 2000. Trustee David Erickson seconded and the motion carried with one dissent (Trustee Calhoun).
- Minnesota State University-Akita Recommendation
Committee Vice Chair Luoma moved that the Board of Trustees authorizes continued good faith discussions with Yuwa-machi, Japan regarding suspension of the 25-year Agreement effective March 31, 2001. The Board also authorizes the Chancellor to take the following actions to prepare for possible suspension of the Agreement:
- Notices to faculty and staff in accordance with applicable provisions of collective bargaining agreements in anticipation of Board Action to suspend or eliminate funding for all or part of the program at Akita;
- Temporary cessation of student recruitment activities and acceptance of new American students;
- Notification to Yuwa-machi of MnSCU's intent to observe its obligation under section 5.4 of the Agreement to fund the Japanese Area Studies program through March 31, 2000.
The 'good faith' discussions which will take place between MnSCU representatives and Yuwa-machi will focus on the possible continued provision of educational opportunities for Japanese students enrolled in the English as a Second Language (ESL) program through March 31, 2001. The Chancellor will report on these discussions at the December, 1999 Board meting. The Board will take Final Action on the recommendation to suspend the 25-year Agreement in December. At that time, the Chancellor will forward an updated recommendation that reflects the outcome of the discussions with Yuwa-machi. At the November meeting the Board will be provided with an MSU-A suspension work plan. This will be an information item only. The work plan will be prepared in accordance with the North Central Association (NCA)'s recommended guidelines for a campus or program closure.
The Board of Trustees also endorses on-going discussions with Akita Prefecture regarding a future educational partnership commencing in academic year 2003. The Chancellor is instructed to have discussions directly with Akita government officials on this topic. These discussions should observe the following principles:
- MnSCU's presence in Japan will be guided by a new partnership agreement with Akita Prefecture;
- MnSCU will provide programs and services to Akita Prefecture on a program agreement or a contract for service basis, as opposed to maintaining a MnSCU campus in Japan; and
- MnSCU's financial support, if any, will be based on a new partnership agreement, not on historical participation and support of MSU-A.
The Chancellor will provide an update on these discussions at the December meeting. Trustee Fritsche seconded.
Trustee David Erickson offered a friendly amendment that the Board further directs the Chancellor, in collaboration with individual MnSCU institutions, to develop a strategic plan of global education, with the system goal to support the programs already existing in MnSCU institutions and to assist them in enhancing their own efforts at international education. Committee Vice Chair Luoma accepted the friendly amendment.
The motion with the friendly amendment carried with two dissents (Trustees Calhoun and Wafler).
- Program Approval: AAS, Residential Property Management, Hennepin
Technical College, Eden Prairie
See agenda item five.
- Program Approval: Diploma, Residential Property Maintenance Technician,
Hennepin Technical College, Eden Prairie
Committee Chair Wafler moved that the Board of Trustees approve the requests by Hennepin Technical College, Eden Prairie to offer a new AAS in Residential Property Management and a new diploma in Residential Property Maintenance Technician. Trustee Calhoun seconded and the motion carried without dissent.
- Program Suspensions: Alexandria Technical College and Minnesota West
Community and Technical College
Committee Chair Wafler reported that the committee received notice of program suspensions at Alexandria Technical College and Minnesota West Community and Technical College.
d. Audit Committee
Committee Chair Boss reported that the Audit Committee met earlier today at St. Cloud Technical College. He commended President Barrett and her staff for hosting the meeting and providing a tour of the campus.
- Year 2000 Update
Committee Chair Boss reported that the committee received the Year 2000 update.
- Student Information System Update
Committee Chair Boss reported that the committee heard an update on the Student Information System.
- Financial Statement Preparation Update
Committee Chair Boss reported that the committee received information relative to the preparation of financial statements.
- Third Quarter Audit Follow-up Report
Committee Vice Chair Choate reported that the committee received the Third Quarter Audit Follow-up Report.
- North Hennepin Community College - Renovation for New Science Building
- Requests by Individuals to Address the Board
There were no requests to address the Board of Trustees.
- Other Business
There was no other business to come before the Board.
Chair Vekich adjourned the meeting by consensus at 4:12 PM.
Michael Vekich, Chair
Recorded by Robert J. McFarlin