Older students at desk with a computer.

Transferring Credits

Students often decide to transfer to a different college or university while completing a degree. Minnesota State institutions work together to make transferring as easy as possible. All of our 37 colleges and universities offer all or part of the Minnesota Transfer Curriculum, a 40-credit package of general education courses accepted for transfer to other state colleges and universities, the University of Minnesota, and many private colleges and universities.

Locate college and university transfer websites.

See additional information if you are a student affected by the recent school closures of ITT Technical Institute, Globe University/Minnesota School of Business, Regency Beauty Institute, Art Institutes International Minnesota, Le Cordon Bleu, or others.

Get Advice

Transfer specialists at each campus can help you with course selection and transfer plans. Talk to a transfer specialist and your academic advisor every semester about your degree plans and where you wish to transfer. Also be sure to review your degree audit report (DARS) every semester. It will help you track your progress towards completing your goals.

Plan ahead to transfer successfully

Any course has the potential to transfer; however, general education courses are the most commonly transferred. It is possible that credits will transfer from one institution to another, but not fulfill the requirements of your new degree program.

Visit the Transferology website to see how credits at one participating institution are accepted into specific programs at other participating institutions.

Which degrees transfer where?

When enrolling at a two-year college, it is important to know which degree path is right for you, as associate degree programs vary in transferability.

  • Associate of Arts (A.A.) degrees are designed to transfer most readily into most baccalaureate (four-year) majors; however, some baccalaureate majors may require specific pre-major courses that may be taken as part of this degree.
  • Associate of Science (A.S.) degrees often transfer into a specific four-year degree major at partnering universities through articulation agreements.
  • Associate of Fine Arts (A.F.A) degrees often transfer into a specific four-year degree major at partnering universities through articulation agreements.
  • Associate of Applied Science (A.A.S.) degrees, technical diplomas and technical certificates are designed for immediate entry into the workplace and may have more limited transferability. AAS degrees are not designed for transfer to baccalaureate (four-year) degree majors.

Special transfer articulation agreements between schools

Formal transfer articulation agreements between two or more colleges and universities allow a "receiving" school to accept transfer credits from another school toward a specific academic program. Articulation agreements are generally for specialized professional or technical programs offered at colleges that can be applied to a specific program/major at the receiving university.

Search for existing transfer articulation agreements between schools.

Reverse transfer

Reverse transfer is a process by which university coursework is transferred back to a previously attended community college for the purpose of awarding an Associate of Arts (A.A.) degree. Please visit Credit When It’s Due – Reverse Transfer to learn more about this initiative and eligibility requirements.

Academic credits for military training

Use the Veterans Education Transfer System to find out how your military training and experience transfers into academic programs at Minnesota State Colleges and Universities.